Neuroevolutionary Solver Version 1.01 Available – Bug Fix.

Problems
So sometimes when you are working on some code, you like to write a little bit of debugging code and build it into your system so you can confirm that a component is working as it should. I had built such a piece of code to be certain that the artificial neural networks we use as phenotypes are consistent between generations. The code confirmed that structurally they were consistent and that their output is consistent after one step of evaluation. The first evaluation of the reformed network has not propagated through the network completely and consequently the very first set of outputs of your neural network are not as precise as they were in the previous generation. The second evaluation puts the neural network back to its original normal state.…
Read More

Whew… Blogging Breakdown

Fun Bits, Problems
What happens when you work a full time job, get lots of overtime at work and have a major deadline in your thesis work that requires you to code your butt off? You get a breakdown in the amount of cool blog posts you get to put up. I am working out some loose ends in my integration of NEAT into PicoEvo and Simbad. I am to the point where I have to integrate the genetic operators and the evolution epoch into the algorithm and putting it together the right way is tricky. I suspect I will wind up just slamming it together so it works then I can pull it apart and put it back together the right way after I meet my deadline!
Read More

The Founding Problem

Problems
When I really started working on my research several months ago, I started bringing environments together and testing various technologies out and trying to find the right combination of tools for my work. I could have written my own completely but that would have taken far more time and there’s no need to reinvent the wheel. The first tool I went looking for was a virtual robot simulator. There are many tools out there I won’t go over them, but I eventually settled on Simbad (I have included the link to the right). It was a nicely coded, 3d robot simulator. It is easily extensible and written in Java, a language I am comfortable with. So this worked for me. I won’t talk about all the other tools I am…
Read More